Battersea Dogs & Cats Home
Established in 1860, Battersea Dogs & Cats Home aims to never turn away a dog or cat in need of help, caring for them until their owners or loving new homes can be found, no matter how long it takes.
Battersea Dogs & Cats Home was established in Holloway in 1860 by Mary Tealby as the Temporary Home for Lost and Starving Dogs. The Home moved to Battersea in 1871 opposite Battersea Park and has a view of the Battersea Power Station.
In 1885, Queen Victoria became Patron of the Home, and it has remained under Royal Patronage ever since. Elizabeth II is the current Patron, and Prince Michael of Kent is the President.
During World War II, then manager Edward Healey-Tutt advised against people euthanizing their pets because of fear of food shortages. Throughout the war Battersea fed and cared for over 145,000 dogs.
In 2002, the name was changed from Battersea Dogs Home to Battersea Dogs & Cats Home (cats were first admitted in 1883)
The charity has embarked upon a programme to install LEDtec’s LED lighting across their 3 sites in kennels, interview areas, feeding, medical areas and offices. Significant electricity cost savings will accrue as well as a substantial reduction in maintenance overheads through not having to regularly replace expired conventional lamps. The cost of supply and installation will be recovered well within a 3-year period.